By Samantha Werkheiser
Just because you’re living in a dorm doesn’t mean you can’t make delicious food with the cooking appliances you have in your room. There are some easy recipes that even those who aren’t cooking savvy can make!
Instant Mac and Cheese
- 1 cup of water
- ½ cup of macaroni
- ½ cup of cheese
- Put ½ cup of macaroni in a microwave-safe mug
- Fill with water until macaroni is covered and microwave on high for 8 minutes. Check at 2 minute and 5 minute marks to stir.
- Cook until pasta is al dente. Make sure that a small amount of water remains at the bottom of the mug.
- Add cheese, if it doesn’t completely melt, stick back in the microwave for 30-60 seconds.
Loaded Microwave Nachos
- 1 bag (5.5 oz) of tortilla chips
- 1 cup refried beans
- ½ cup pico de gallo
- 4 Tbsp diced green chiles
- 2 cups cheddar cheese or cheese of your choice
- Scatter bag of chips on large plate
- Place beans in the microwave for 30 seconds to make them softer
- Add pico de gallo and mix together
- Drop spoonfuls of this mixture on top of chips
- Sprinkle chiles on top of mixture, then sprinkle cheese over top all the ingredients
- Cook in microwave for 1 minute or until cheese is melted
Spinach and Feta Mashed Potatoes
- 2 to 2.5 lbs. russet potatoes
- 3 Tbsp butter
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- ¼ cup milk
- 2 cups (packed) fresh spinach
- 2 oz. crumbled feta
- Wash the potatoes, poke with fork 5 times.
- Microwave potatoes on high for 5 minutes, check for doneness based on crunchiness of center. If still crunchy, cook for one minute intervals, checking after each minute if it’s finished.
- Let potatoes cool and cut into slices to make mashing easier. Put into small bowl.
- Add butter, garlic powder, salt, pepper, and milk. Mix well.
- Mix in spinach and let it wilt for 2-4 minutes.
- Sprinkle feta cheese over top of mixture.
Omelet in a Mug
- 2 eggs
- 1 Tbsp mik
- Topping of your choice (onion, ham, turkey, cheese, etc)
- Crack eggs and add milk, beat together with fork.
- Microwave for one minute.
- Add topping or toppings of your choice.
- Cook for 30-60 seconds or until egg is done.
Brown Rice with Edamame and Pineapple
- 1/2 cup instant brown rice
- 2/3 water
- 1/3 cup frozen shelled edamame
- 1/4 cup diced fresh or drained canned pineapple
- 1 tablespoon teriyaki sauce
- 2 tablespoons chopped cashews
- Optional Hot pepper sauce sliced green onions, chopped fresh mint, cilantro
- In a 16 ounce mug, combine rice and water. Place edamame on top. Cover with a small plate or sauce. Microwave on high for 5-6 minutes or until almost all of the water has been absorbed.
- Remove from oven and let stand, covered, for 1 minute to absorb the remaining water.
- Stir in pineapple and teriyaki sauce. Microwave, uncovered, on high for 30-45 seconds or until pineapple is heated through. Let stand for 30 seconds.
- Stir, then season to taste with hot pepper sauce. Sprinkle with cashews and any of the optional items.
Email Samantha at: