Residents React to Damaged Dorms

Photo credit/ Edita Bardhi

By Charlese Freeman

Student Life Editor

Sycamore Suites, the latest addition to the housing options on campus, experienced unfortunate damages to the building.

From outside, Sycamore looks like a beautiful new building, but inside the building once again looks as if it is under renovations. 

Last week, all four floors of Sycamore Suites experienced flooding. The flooding was a result of something triggering the fire sprinklers.

Although no one is sure what triggered the sprinklers, the damage suggests the sprinklers were activated in the fourth-floor kitchen. Because of the severe damage, the fourth, third and second floor kitchens of Sycamore are closed for repair. 

Besides the kitchens, the ceilings of the first three floors, carpets, and some wallpaper suffered water damage.

The interior of the building, with half painted walls, exposed ceiling wires, and bare patches on the floor, resembles a building under renovations, once again. 

“It’s kind of weird because the building is still new and now it has to be rebuilt,” said Na’zir Postell, a Musical theatre major. “It’s almost like I could have just stayed in traditional hall. My floor wasn’t that damaged except the carpets on the floors, but my stuff wasn’t effected.”

Postell noted that other than this current issue, he hasn’t noticed any other issues with the building. 

“I don’t think it’s the building. It’s the people in the building,” Postell stated jokingly.

The Resident Director of Sycamore, Rachel DiStefano, declined to share details about the actual flooding. She ensured everyone that the flood was student produced and had nothing to do with the design of the building. 

Some students, however, are not convinced about what really caused the flooding. 

“I heard they did not test anything before they placed people in there,” said Alison McCrorey. “When a new building is built there are problems that are going to happen. I remember for an entire week their system was down and no one could scan in. I feel like as fast as they did it; I don’t think they thoroughly inspected.”

During the flooding, students were escorted to Hemlock Suites. The flood took place at 1 a.m., and students were not able to return to the building until 3 a.m. 

Four days later, one of the older buildings, Linden Residence Hall, also suffered a small fire.

On March 28, students had to evacuate Linden Hall in response to a bathroom fire. According to multiple students, the fire started in a light fixture in one of the men’s bathrooms.

No one was hurt and there was no extensive damage to the building.

ESU student Nilda Paduani said “That was a really big scare and I’m hoping that no other light fixtures in the building have any problems. I feel like that could be really bad.”

Although students were nervous, they were relieved to find out the fire was extinguished, and they were able to return back to their dorms.

“The whole light fixture on the second floor on the Northside busted and it caught fire because they didn’t change the lightbulb,” said McCrorey., a resident of Linden Hall. “We need all the lightbulbs in Linden changed.”

Email Charlese at: 

Cfreeman2@live.esu.edu

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.