By Erin Macmillan
SC Staff Writer
The Writing Studio at East Stroudsburg University Hosts “Final Paper Push” Dec. 3-9
Well, it’s that time of the year! The fall semester may be coming to an end, but the workload is at an all-time high as students busily prepare for exams and write their final papers.
As you complete your final writing assignments, remember that the Writing Studio at East Stroudsburg University is an excellent resource for all students regardless of their major. From brainstorming to finishing touches, our well-trained tutors are available to help you with any stage of the writing process as you bring your semester to an end.
Located in the back right corner of Kemp Library, the Writing Studio’s mission is to help students draft, revise, and complete their writing assignments.
The Writing Studio is a comfortable, student-driven space where ESU students can receive one-on-one tutoring in a friendly and welcoming atmosphere. In addition to the Studio space, students also have access to the Writing Studio Lounge for meetings and group projects.
Every semester, the Writing Studio hosts “Final Paper Push,” an event intended to help students cope with end-of-semester stress. This semester, “Final Paper Push” will be held from Monday, December 3 through Sunday, December 9. The Writing Studio will close for the semester on December 9.
“Final Paper Push” is designed to help ESU students before finals by offering drop-in tutoring, one-on-one help, flexible hours, and free refreshments.
Here are some tips and suggestions for making your tutoring session as successful as possib
1. If your professor has given you one, please make sure to bring an assignment sheet for the paper you are working on. This helps the tutor who works with you understand the requirements for the paper and the professor’s expectations, so you will receive the most constructive and accurate feedback possible.
2. Regardless of whether it’s a brainstorming map or a final draft, make sure you bring it with you when you arrive for your session. At the Writing Studio, your tutor can assist you at any stage of the writing process. If you need to, you can use one of the computers in the Writing Studio to print out what you are working on when you get here.
3. Writing papers can be challenging, but our goal is to help you hand in the best paper you can. Please come with any questions you may have. If you know what you’d like to work on in your session, tell your tutor. They’ll be able to focus the session on what your concerns are. Need help with APA citations and formatting? We have resources for that. Confused about your thesis and topic sentences? Our tutors can help. Not sure where to place that comma? We have handouts for that, too.
4. We know it’s a stressful time of the semester, but try to come to the Writing Studio with a positive attitude. We are here to help you become a better writer, one paper at a time.
5. Lastly, come with an appetite. This is not a metaphor. We literally want you to come hungry! There are brownies, cookies, coffee, tea, and other treats available. They are here for you – come in to enjoy them!
The Writing Studio is open Monday through Thursday from 1 to 9 pm, Friday from 1 to 5 pm, and Sunday from 4 to 9 pm. Our last day of the semester will be Sunday, December 9. We will be closed during finals week, so make sure you bring your paper in before then!
If you need help after we’re closed, visit the Writing Studio’s website: www.esu.edu/writingstudio.
Email Erin at: