Men’s Soccer Falls to Gannon 4-1, Mercyhurst 6-1

By James Hanley
SC Staff Writer

On September 19 the ESU men’s soccer team took on Gannon University in the first of back-to-back games to open their PSAC schedule.

The Warriors came into this game with a recent 1–1 draw against St. Thomas Aquinas in double overtime after losing two of their first three games to open the season.

The Golden Knights, on the other hand, came into this game with a 1-3 record after losing to Daemen College 3–1.

The game got off to a slow start, but in the eighteenth minute Gannon came to life.

Gavin Linsell opened up scoring for the hosts with a free kick from 25 yards out.

After the ensuing goal, Gannon dominated possession for much of the first half and eventually were rewarded for their efforts.

In the thirty-second minute, Gannon was able to sneak in a ball after a scramble in front of the goal after a corner kick.

Then just four minutes later an ESU defensive error allowed Gannon to capitalize and score yet another goal and further frustrate the Warriors.

At the end of the first half, Gannon led 3–0 and it looked like the game was all but over.

ESU came out firing in the second half and was able to score a driving shot from 25 yards out by sophomore forward Casey Albino in the 47.

After the early goal, Gannon was able to contain the Warrior comeback and control the game.

In the eighty-first minute Gannon scored their fourth and final goal and put the game to bed.

The following day, the Mercyhurst Lakers, who entered the game at 4-2 following a 2-1 loss to West Chester, hosted the Warriors in their second PSAC game of the year.

The Warriors hoped to rebound from Friday’s loss but couldn’t compete with Mercyhurst.

The Lakers started the game ferociously and were able to string together four goals in a matter of six minutes.

For the rest of the first half the Warriors were able to temporally stem the bleeding but in the second half, the Lakers scored two more goals making it 6–0.

The Warriors were able to steal a goal in the sixty-sixth minute but, by that point, the deficit was too large and the game ended 6–1.

The Warriors ended the weekend with a 1–4–1 record.

ESU will face off against Lock Haven on Saturday, West Chester on Tuesday, and will host Chestnut Hill on Wednesday.

Email James at: