By Kathleen Kraemer
Last weekend, two on-campus armed robberies of ESU students were reported.
The incidents which occurred on Saturday around 1 a.m. on East Brown Street involved three students who were confronted by three unknown men, one wielding a handgun. The students were robbed of their money.
In the second incident on Sunday at 11:15 p.m., four students at the intersection of Smith Street and Spangenburg Avenue were approached by six unknown men, again with one man wielding a handgun.
These students were also robbed of their money.
Stroud Area Regional Police is investigating both incidents. They ask that anyone with relevant information call Detective Dave Thomas at 570-421-5800 ex. 1020.
While the investigation is under way, Campus Police have provided these tips to help students stay safe on and off campus:
1. Take advantage of the Warrior Shuttle Service.
2. Avoid walking alone at night.
3. Always let someone know where you are going.
4. Trust your instincts.
5. Be aware of your surroundings.
6. Plan the safest route on well-lighted, well-traveled paths.
7. Avoid using technology as it can decrease awareness.
8. Report anything unusual or suspicious.
9. Use locks and other security measures.
10. Do not prop outside doors open.
11. Do not display valuables openly.
12. Be cautious around ATMs.
13. Always have your keys ready in your hand.
14. Keep the doors of vehicles locked and valuables in the trunk.
15. Do not leave possessions unattended on campus.
16. Report any burned out campus lights or damages emergency equipment.