– Avoid going out late at night by yourself. Always bring a friend. If you have to go by yourself, stay on the phone with someone until you get to your destination.
– If you’re walking alone at night, carry your keys in between your fingers in case you need to use them as a weapon.
– Know the location of all the emergency boxes in the parking lots and throughout the campus.
– Let people know where you’re going and when you will be coming back.
– Always lock your car and dorm or apartment door, even if you are in the vehicle or room.
– Use the safety escort service instead of walking alone on campus. (570-422-3064) SafeRides is not intended to be a service of convenience but rather a safe means of transportation when other travel options do not offer a secure environment.
– Try to be aware of your surroundings, avoid doing distracting things like playing on your phone.
– Don’t let other people into your dorm building if they do not have a key or swipe card.
– Make sure to not be overly intoxicated in public, so you can be in full control of the situation if it calls for it.
– Have all the emergency numbers on and near campus:
-(570-422-3064)- Campus Police
-(570-421-4000)- Pocono Medical Center
-(911)- Call for all emergencies
The Stroud Courier hopes everyone stays safe out there by following these tips!